University of California, Riverside

Student Academic Information Systems



  • Q. What is a UCR NetID and why do I need one?

    A. New career employees are routinely assigned a UCR NetID by their department Enterprise Directory Administrator when they are hired. A list of Enterprise Administrators can be found at here. Employee UCR NetID's can be found using the web-based employee search at Employee Search.
    Without a UCR NetID, employees cannot access the Student Academic Advising System
  • Q. What is the UCR Enterprise Directory and how does it relate to the Student Academic Advising System?

    A. The Student Academic Advising System authenticates UCR NetID's against UCR’s Enterprise Directory, which is a database maintained by the campus Enterprise Directory Administrator.
  • Q. What is the Enterprise Access Control System and how does it relate to the Student Academic Advising System?

    A. The Enterprise Access Control System (EACS) is the online management tool used by Systems Access Administrators (SAA's) to grant access to the campus’ various online systems. After authenticating a user’s UCR NetID, the Student Academic Advising System checks EACS to confirm appropriate user privileges. For more information on the Enterprise Access Control System, please visit the following site: back to top
  • Q. Where can I download the Acrobat Reader?

    A. Click here and follow the installer instructions.


  • Q. What steps are involved for a student to declare a major?

    A. There is no specific date by which a student must declare a major, however, it is strongly recommend that students decide by the end their sophomore year. This will allow the student sufficient time to complete the requirements to graduate on time. Declaring a major the sophomore year will also give a student sufficient time to plan. Some majors, for example, require that some courses be taken in sequence. Students should follow the course catalog for the year they entered the university to monitor their progress within the major.
  • Q. What steps are involved for a student changing a major?

    A. Students in good academic standing can petition a change of major and/or transfer to another college. Students should meet with an advisor to determine the course requirements, prerequisites, and how their existing course work will be affected.

    The deadline for submission of major changes is the end of third week each quarter. Changes are not permitted while on probation or during the final senior year (135 units or more)

  • Q. What steps are involved for a student to declare a double major?

    A. Students may select a second major within the same college, or outside of the college, as long as both majors are completed within the maximum limit of 216 units. Approval must be obtained from advisors in both departments or programs. A double major form obtained from the Student Academic Affairs Office of the primary major must accompany the change of major petition when declaring a double major. If the majors are not in the same college, one of the two majors must be designated as the primary major for the purpose of satisfying breadth requirements. If a student declares multiple majors in different colleges with different degrees (B.A. and B.S.), students must meet both sets of breadth requirements. A declaration of two majors in different colleges must be approved by the Associate Deans of the colleges concerned and filed by the student with the college of the primary major. No more than 8 upper-division units may count for both majors simultaneously.

    Unless otherwise specified by the catalog, students can take a course in a department before declaring major in that department. Some courses require prerequisites; others are filled by students in the major. It is recommended that student not take any course S/NC if it is in a department that is being considering for the major.
  • Q. What is the process for a student to declare a Minor?

    A. A minor is a series of courses focused on a single discipline or interdisciplinary area. Each minor consists of not fewer than 16 nor more than 28 units of organized upper-division courses. Students must file a declaration of a minor with the College Student Academic Affairs Office. The student should verify with the minor department that any changes to the original petition have been reported to the Student Academic Affairs Office. 

    A 2.0 GPA is required in upper-division courses within the minor. Posting of the minor depends upon completion of any work in progress. Incomplete, IE, IP or GD grades on the student’s transcript will stop the processing of degree. During the quarter of graduation students must clear these grades and immediately report to their advisor any changes made to their schedule after the third week of instruction. If coursework is taken at another institution(s) (including work taken at UCR Extension) students must note the institution, course(s), and term(s) on the application for graduation. Courses in the major may not be used for requirements for a minor.
  • Q. What is the Recommended Course Load for a student?

    A. UCR strongly recommends that freshmen enroll in only three courses (12 units) the first quarter in order to for students to adjust to the campus and to get used to the pace of the quarter system. However, freshmen who wish to complete a bachelor's degree within 4 years are reminded that the average of 45 or more units must be completed each year to meet the four-year graduation goal (approximately 16 units per quarter). To be considered full-time, students must enroll in a minimum of 12 units.
  • Q. How does a student declare Part-Time Status?

    A. Students who need to attend part-time, due to work schedules, family responsibilities or health problems, must obtain approval from the Associate Dean in the college where their major is located.

    Undergraduate students whose enrollment for the term is approved by the dean of their college for 10 or fewer quarter units of academic credit shall pay the full University Registration fee and one-half the applicable Educational fee. Students may petition for part-time fee waivers up to the 15th day of instruction. Students should be aware that the Office of the Registrar does not process part-time fee waivers until their enrollment is reduced to 10 units or fewer. Reduction of units to 10 units or fewer after the 15th day of instruction does not reduce the Educational fee.
  • Q.Can a student take courses outside of UCR?

    A. Students should always consult with their advisors to confirm that a course outside of UCR will meet the requirements for the major and/or graduation. Students can also visit the following sites to determine transferability of courses:

    Comparable Courses at a Community College:

    Comparable Courses at other UC Schools:

    If a selected course is not located on the website the student should check with the academic advisor at UCR before taking the course. Upon completion of course work students should request that the outside college/university forward official transcripts to UCR. All transfer work is entered online in the Student Information System, where the advisor can access the student’s record and advise on which courses were transferable and which UCR requirements they meet.

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

Student Academic Information Systems
Computing & Communications Bldg.

Tel: (951) 827-3555
Fax: (951) 827-4541