University of California, Riverside






Approvals & Email Notifications:


Entering Trip Data:


Q. What is a UCR Net ID and why do I need one?

A. New career employees are routinely assigned Net IDs by their department "Enterprise Directory Administrator" when they are hired. A list of Enterprise Directory Administrators can be found at Enterprise Directory Administrators. Employee Net IDs can be found using the web-based employee search at Employee Search.

All students are automatically assigned Net IDs when they matriculate and are entered into the Student Information System (SIS+). Students who are on the UCR payroll can be reimbursed just like regular career employees because they are listed in both the Payroll Personnel System (PPS) and (SIS+). Students who are not on the UCR payroll must be entered into the UCR vendor database like other non-employee travelers even though they have a Net ID.

Without a Net ID, employees cannot use iTravel.

Back to top

Q. What is the UCR Enterprise Directory and how does it relate to travel?

A. iTravel authenticates Net IDs against UCR"s Enterprise Directory, which is a database maintained by the campus Enterprise Directory Administrators Enterprise Directory Administrators. When employees" appointments are terminated in the Payroll Personnel system (PPS), their Net IDs are automatically revoked as well and therefore they can no longer access iTravel.

Back to top

Q. What is the Enterprise Access Control System and how does it relate to travel?

A. The Enterprise Access Control System (EACS) is the online management tool used by Systems Access Administrators (SAAs) to grant access to the campus" various online systems. After authenticating a user"s Net ID, iTravel checks EACS to confirm appropriate user privileges. For more information on the Enterprise Access Control System, please visit the following site:

Back to top

Q. Where can I download the Acrobat Reader?

A. Visit Adobe's website for downloads and instructions.

Back to top

Q. Is there a "Save As New" feature in iTravel?

A. The option to "Save As New" is available only after you have finished a Travel Expense Report and submitted it to either the Traveler or an Approver. (Under Travel Coordinator Options on the opening iTravel screen, click on the Search Engine button to find a trip you want to copy.) When you open a submitted trip there will be a "Save As New" button in the upper right-hand corner.

Q.  Do I need to submit an iTravel expense report if I am not receiving a reimbursement (e.g. Travel expenses were charged directly to the University via purchase order)?

A.  Yes travel policy states, "A Travel Expense Voucher must be processed even if no reimbursement is due the traveler."



Back to top


Q. How do I log into iTravel?

A. Access iTravel through R'Space, the campus administrative portal. If iTravel is not listed after you log into R'Space, contact your travel coordinator (if you are a traveler) or your SAA (if you are a travel coordinator) and request access to iTravel.

Back to top

Q. What is a Traveler Profile and why must I set one up?

A. A traveler profile is a set of information, some required and some optional. iTravel requires that a Traveler Profile be established with all required information prior to a traveler"s first use. The required fields are Name, Title, and Work Phone. All other fields are optional. Profile information is used to initialize fields each time a new trip is created.

Back to top


Q. What will happen if a travel expense report is not submitted after an advance has been paid to a traveler?

A. An advance is requested by starting a travel expense report, which includes the FAU to which the trip expenses will be posted and the expected end date of the trip. If a travel expense report has not been submitted within 45 days after the end of the trip, the amount of the advance will be posted as a "Delinquent Advance" to the trip"s FAU.

Back to top

Q. If the amount of the advance exactly covers the expenses of the trip, does a traveler still need to submit a travel expense report through iTravel?

A. Yes. If a travel expense summary is not submitted, the amount of the advance will be automatically charged as a "Delinquent Advance" to the trip"s FAU, rather than to the appropriate travel account numbers.

Back to top

Q If an advance has already been charged to the department and I turn in a travel expense report, will the department be charged twice?

A. No, iTravel posts cash advances to a separate FAU than the trip"s FAU. When a travel advance is "cleared" by submitting a travel expense report, the trip"s designated FAU is charged for the first time. Payment of non-cash advances, such as airfare and registrations through eBuy or by check request does cause the charge to post directly to the trip"s FAU initially. However, in the case of non-cash advances, iTravel recognizes that the expense has already been posted and does not post it a second time.

Back to top

Approvals & Email Notifications

Q. How do I know if my travel expense report has been approved?

A. From the opening screen in iTravel, click on the "Search Engine" under Traveler Options. At the next screen enter whatever information you have to get a list of existing trips. When you have selected the appropriate trip, click on the "Approval History" tab and select either "My Trip"s Routing Location" to see where your travel expense summary is or the "Expense Approval Log" to see when and by whom approvals have been completed.

Back to top

Q. Who approves the travel expense reports?

A. Departments have flexibility within iTravel to designate pre- and final approvers as they see fit. Typically a traveler"s supervisor or the departmental Systems Access Administrator (SAA) approves travel. The approval process in iTravel is intended to approve the trip and the related expenses, and is not a check of the FAU, which is done by the established transactional reviewers (usually Analysts) within the UCR Financial System.

Back to top

Q. As a traveler, do I need to reply to the email notifications?

A. No, these are informational only. However, you should take appropriate action to continue the routing of your travel expense report through the system. (Contact your Travel coordinator if you need assistance.)

Back to top


Q. How do I know if a receipt is required for an expense?

A. As items are added to the travel expense report, iTravel will apply built-in business rules to determine if receipts are required. If so, the Receipts Needed entry on the form will display YES.

Back to top

Q. Can I still be reimbursed if I lose a receipt?

A. Yes. If you lose a required receipt, you must fill out a Declaration of Missing Evidence form and have your Travel coordinator scan it and electronically attach it to your travel expense report in lieu of the receipt.

Back to top

Q. What do I do with receipts for travel expenses?

A. In general, original itemized receipts for airfare, lodging, car rental, registration are required regardless of cost; for most other expenses, receipts are only required for items costing more than $75.  These receipts should be turned in to your department travel coordinator to scan and electronically attach all necessary receipts and documentation to your travel expense report. When the Travel coordinator finishes with a travel expense report, it will be electronically routed to you, the traveler, who may view the attached documentation by clicking the "Attach Documents" button at the top of any of the travel expense report screens

Back to top

Q. Do I need original receipts?

A. In general, original itemized receipts for airfare, lodging, car rental, registration are required regardless of cost; for most other expenses, receipts are only required for items costing more than $75.  If a receipt is lost,  a Declaration of Missing Evidence form should be completed.

Back to top Q.  What is the campus standard for low dollar items like meals and local transportation?

A. Effective December 2015, as part of UCR’s ongoing Organizational Excellence and Lean Thinking initiatives, a campus-wide standard approach to documenting lower value items related to travel, business meetings and entertainment was implemented to promote administrative efficiencies.  As allowed by UC policy, departments will no longer request or require receipts for reimbursement of meal and local transportation costs of less than $75. Travelers and event hosts will continue to be responsible for adhering to other aspects of Business & Finance Bulletin G-28 and BUS-79, such as: 1) Travel related meal reimbursements must not exceed actual expenditures; 2) Travel related meal reimbursement requests must not exceed the maximum daily limits; 3) Travel related meal reimbursement requests must not include the cost of alcohol; 4) Meal expenses incurred on trips that do not include an overnight stay are not eligible for reimbursement; 5) All Business Meeting and Entertainment meal reimbursement requests must identify the cost of alcohol to ensure proper accounting treatment.

Back to top


Q. Do travel receipts need to be sent to accounting?

A. No, the travel coordinator for your department will scan the submitted receipts and attach them to the appropriate travel expense report. The Department office is now the office of record for original travel receipts rather than the Accounting office

Back to top

Q. If an expense was prepaid with a purchase order do I still need to scan in receipts?

A. Yes, you must still turn in original receipts for expenses such as airfare or registration that have been paid in advance of the start of your trip. A travel expense report should be started in iTravel at the time these advance expenses are incurred.

Back to top

Q. How long does the department need to keep the original documentation?

A. It depends upon the fund source involved, but in general, original required travel documentation should be retained for four years after the end of the fiscal year in which the transaction was posted to the general ledger; retention periods for contracts and grants funded travel is six years after the expiration/termination of the sponsored agreement.  Please note it is not necessary to print out the iTravel expense report or attachments as this information is available indefinitely.

Back to top

Entering Trip Data

Q. Will my trip be assigned a unique number?

A. Yes, iTravel automatically assigns a unique trip number to each travel expense report.

Back to top

Q. What destination do I input if I am traveling to multiple cities?

A. The final destination should be input with further explanation under the Travel/Description/Information field or the Purpose of Trip/Location field.

Back to top

Q. Can I make corrections on the expense summary page?

A. No, corrections must be made under the appropriate section tab. The input from the individual sections populates to the expense summary page.

Back to top

Q. As a traveler, am I responsible for entering my own trip details into iTravel?

A. Whether travelers enter their own trip details into iTravel depends on the department"s and/or the traveler"s preferences. iTravel can accommodate two methods of travel expense reporting: 1)travelers may enter their own travel expenses, or 2) traveler may simply give their receipts and a worksheet to their travel coordinator, who can enter trip details on behalf of travelers. In either case, original receipts should be submitted to the travel coordinator for scanning.

Back to top

Q. Can Non-UCR employees enter their own expenses?

A. No, It is up to the department travel coordinator to enter all trip details for non-UCR employees.

Q.  How do I ensure that all travel related direct charge payments have a corresponding travel expense voucher?

A.  Establish a regularly scheduled reconciliation process that will compare travel related purchase orders (e.g. US Bank, Your Travel Center, Super Shuttle, Mission Inn, etc.) to iTravel expense vouchers. You may query eBuy using a date range, a particular vendor, and/or FAU to gather purchase order information. This reconciliation can be facilitated by including the traveler ID and name in the purchase order description.  The eBuy query results can be reconciled to iTravel using the traveler ID and/or name using the iTravel Search Engine.


Back to top

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

Computing & Communications
Computing & Communications Bldg.

Tel: (951) 827-4741
Fax: (951) 827-4541